Thursday, July 2, 2009

Steve Hargadon's Six Points

Steve Hargadon’s Six Points

I loved this blog post (?) because it so clearly outlines the process of collaboration which is essential to theatre. Without collaboration there is no spark, no learning and no growth. This process of collaboration looks very foreign to most educators. There is a great deal of time given to exploration and waiting for discovery. This can be mistaken for “doing nothing” or not having “a plan”. But the plan is always clear to the collaborator. Bring your companions to your understanding and beyond, create something that goes beyond your ideas, find synergy, create beyond your own capacity. This kind of learning fills your soul and allows you to dream beyond yourself. It’s the core of my being and it is a great privilege to create with others.

I agree with Mr. Hargadon that facilitating this kind of learning takes being authentic. I often have to admit to my students that I don’t know where we are going, I just know there is a journey to be had. And the journey is completely made up of the individuals involved: change the participants and you change the journey.

I also agree with his point that engagement is essential. Without engagement there is no genuine sharing. It means allowing the students to take the lead and trust their instincts and sense of pride to create a result. The result is a direct product of their engagement. But this process is tricky. Some learn very quickly and sometimes you have to keep them busy while the other members of the group catch up. But once several people have found their voice the process becomes contagious and has a life of its own.

My future as a teacher is very unsure right now. But one thing I can guarantee is that those who have collaborated with me in this way will continue to seek this collaboration. If they don’t find it in their classes they will look for it until they do. Once you are hooked you are hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment